Friday, March 28, 2008

Week 5/Thing 11

Still learning about social networking and creating accounts. Today its Facebook. It's very easy to set up these accounts and the amount of applications is amazing. Also, fun to contact and keep in touch with people. My daughter uses Facebook to send "e-vites" to parties and social stuff. That said, I read the wikipedia article and realized how complex and problemmatic this technology is --and the not-so-great uses of it. For instance, I didn't know it was located in Beverly Hills and owned by Fox and how corporate it really is, I wasn't aware of the lousy customer service aspect(I just assumed there was a contact us box and that somebody would get back to you.) I guess (from my brief tech class) I knew about the problems with the poor web source coding--which explains its popularity since relatively few peoplel take the time to learn how to write correct code and don't really care--but I thought that the techies had taken car of that and that it was not a problem. I did not realize that a 14 year old can have a page and that a 16 year old can have a public page--which seems strange since 18 is the age of a legal adult. Does this mean that a 16 year old who's page is linked to a crime is tried as a juvenile? I can now see how Congress, child protective agencies and first amendment supporters run into such a quagmire when trying to regulate social networking sites on the Internet and how much a worldwide issue this is.

No comments: