Monday, May 12, 2008

Week 11/Thing 21

This week's "thing" is one of favorites --I've been viewing YouTube for some time and I especially like the daily/weekly videos. I'm still amazed at how video sharing has become commonplace (I looked at the other video sharing sites) and how it varies from the "sublime to the ridiculous." I also can't help but see how it is still one of the most powerful for good and bad of the social networking tools. As a school librarian, what's amazing to me is how YouTube videos of differing relevancy are showing up on Google searches for student information on topics. That said, I also like the TeacherTube site.
I signed up for an account and added my fav --"Conan the Librarian" to my favorites-- and downloaded it to this week's "thing."
YouTube definitely has a place on a library website--it can introduce a staff, instruct or introduce the library plaes and procedures like the Harper College Library video, serve as a lively host for book talks, student contests,etc. I like the idea of student created and edited projects without a huge expense of materials(like the old days!)

No comments: