Thursday, April 24, 2008

Week 8/Thing 16

Really enjoyed these articles and they were very useful at this point as a way to sit back and reflect on the previous "things" and how these new technologies can be applied to the everyday workings of my library. I found the wikipedia piece very useful (I constantly consult wikipedia to get definitions, histories and bibliographies about new computer products, definitions, technologies, etc.) It makes sense that the social networking philosophies and tools of Web 2.0 would morph to Library 2.0 --I liked the restating of the key principals. Similarly the OCLC articles were fascinating--the "icebergs" piece is a good wake up call to all libraries especially with regard to budgeting. I thought the Library 4.0, neo-library "knowledge spa" idea was a bit farfetched. In my opinion, these new technologies (and the fact that they will be available cheaply to people in their own homes)will drastically limit the physical spaces of libraries, not create these library temples. That said,I feel that the library 2.0 model is a long way off in many places due to the digital divide of age and access. As a librarian in a very small town with unreliable,very expensive Internet access, it's been a struggle even to get our patrons to use email to check the notices I send them.

No comments: